Pages

12 June 2011

How to be an Explorer of the World: Exploration # 1

I discovered Keri Smith while I was working at DV8 Saatchi & Saatchi in 2007. She inspired me and sparked a strong desire within me to be a freelance designer. A year later I jumped into the unknown and I've never looked back. Keri fascinates me because she has explored her creative abilities and shares it with the world. She is super natural and this makes me visit her site all these years. Recently I have purchased one of her many books named: HOW TO BE AN EXPLORER OF THE WORLD portable (art) life museum!



Its all about unlocking your creativity by looking at your surroundings and finding the unfamiliar in the familiar!"Everything is interesting" - She encourages that you 1. Observe, 2. Collect, 3. Analyze, 4. Compare and 5. Notice patterns!

I AM AN EXPLORER.
My mission is to document and observe the world around me as if I've never seen it before. Take notes. Collect things I find on my travels. Document my findings. Notice the patterns. Copy. Trace. Focus on one thing at a time. Record what I am drawn to! 

Exploration # 1
I explored ten things in my fathers garden, because its a place that I walk past every day but hardly spend time in I figured this would be a cool place to start. Dad is always complaing to me that I never take note of his untamed garden. So off I went with my camera (85mm lens) and explored! This is what I found:

1. A rock that looks painted but is naturally like this
2. Succulent with a white patterned leaves
3. Decaying flowers in the wind
4. Lavender in the wind
5. Gooseberries in the sunset
6. A feather with a hatched egg shell
7. Twigs shaped in an 8
8. Spider
9. Decaying aloe leaves
10. Unusual flower

4 comments:

  1. Inspired to explore!!! Here I goooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH! I GOT THIS BOOK TOO! I saw it in Berlin and JUST HAD TO HAVE IT! Yah :) Happy exploring my friend and may we explore together a little more too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you found the book in Berlin =) Great minds think a like and yes we should explore together a little bit more!

    Cant wait to see your exhibition. I'm so so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are talented my sis ... keep them coming you're inspiring me to create!!!

    ReplyDelete